Lentil Soup With Bacon Recipe
An easy hearty lentil soup recipe with bacon. I love meats, so I think the bacon makes it. But it can be omitted if you prefer vegetarian version.
Lentil soup was one of the few soups my mother could convince me to eat as a child.
note: click images to license them as stock photos
Lentil Soup Ingredients
8 strips of bacon
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 16 oz cans vegetable stock
- 30 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 pound dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook bacon in a large pot or dutch oven. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Leave fat in pan. (omit this step if you prefer a meatless version)
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add diced onion, sliced carrots, chopped celery. Saute in bacon fat for 5 minutes.
- Add oregano, thyme, and garlic. Sauté for one minute.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, lentils, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Crumble bacon and add to pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- cook, stirring occasionally, about 1 1/2 hours. Lentils will be soft when done.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
I like to serve it in ceramic soup cups, topped with crumbled saltine crackers, or oyster crackers.