Homemade Pumpkin Soup Recipe
This delicious pumpkin soup is easy to make and delicious. It’s perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
We garnished ours with pumpkin croutons we got at Trader Joes, but you can also use some Crème fraîche.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crème fraîche or pumpkin croutons for garnish (optional)
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. When the butter begins to brown, add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sugar, cinnamon, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree and broth, stir to incorporate, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the cream and let cool for 10 minutes.
Using an immersion blender puree until smooth. If needed, add additional water or broth to reach desired consistency.
- Serve warm and drizzle with crème fraîche.