Holiday Eggnog Recipe
Homemade eggnog was such a tradition in my family that I was taken by surprise the first time I drank store bought egg nog.My reaction was like “what is this stuff?” Home made eggnog is so easy to make there’s no reason to buy it.
I’ve noticed over the years that some sort of phobia has developed about using raw eggs in egg nog. All I can say is that we never cooked our eggnog in three generations and no one ever got sick from drinking it. Also raw eggs are frequently used in protein drinks by athletes. Again they never get sick from them.
We also rarely add alcohol to our eggnog. But you certainly can and I included it in this recipe as an optional step. And it does kill any bacteria that may be present from using raw eggs.
- Add whole eggs to blender and blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and blend another 20 seconds.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cognac, bourbon, milk and heavy cream and blend until combined, about 10-15 seconds.
- Optional: Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for a day to allow flavors to blend. We do this only if we are adding alcohol and usually we don’t want to wait to enjoy it. But it does improve the taste some.
- If you allowed it to sit in the refrigerator, give the eggnog a good shake in the container first
- Pour into glasses and sprinkle some nutmeg on top and garnish with a cinnamon stick (optional).
We hope you enjoy our holiday egg nog recipe and that you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Oh, and of course you can drink eggnog any time of the year.