Economical Chicken, Spinach & Rice Casserole Recipe
This one pot chicken, spinach and rice casserole is a nutritious budget meal that helps stretch your food dollars… without sacrificing taste or nutrition.
It has a creamy taste much like a risotto. It’s a complete meal that will serve about four hungry people.
Save this to your economical recipes bookmarks for those times when you need to cut food costs without your family feeling they have been cheated.
Please don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube Channel.
- 2 tbsp / 30 g unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb chicken thighs cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups uncooked white rice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 10 oz bag baby spinach
- 2 cups /shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese (we used a blend of both)
- Melt butter. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook until it changes from pink to white but not fully cooked.
- Reduce heat and the milk, stirring as you go.
- Add broth, rice, thyme and a just pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir, bring to simmer, and cover. Turn down to medium low and cook for 12 minutes.
- Ad spinach in batches mixing it in as you go. Cook for 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Fold in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve immediately,