Easy Turkey Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
Why wait until Thanksgiving and spend all day in the kitchen cooking away to have a turkey dinner? This ground turkey and sweet potato hash can be on your table in less than 30 minutes and it is utterly delicious!
It’s also an economical one pot recipe so you save money and save time on cleanup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup onions diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato diced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A pinch of red pepper or red chili flakes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground turkey, garlic and onions.
- Cook for 4 or 5 minutes stirring occasionally and breaking up the turkey with the spatula
Add yellow peppers and the sweet potato, chili or pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and turkey is fully cooked, about 10 - 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Note, adding a couple tablespoons of water helps the sweet potatoes cook faster.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the sweet potato and turkey mixture is ready sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
Place skillet in oven just long enough to melt cheese. (you can also use the broiler instead of heating the oven. It will give the cheese a “browned” appearance and crispy texture.
Note: If you don’t have cast iron cookware or another oven proof pan, you can simply turn off the heat when it is done, sprinkle the cheese on top and cover for a few minutes to melt the cheese.