Easy One Pot Mozzarella Chicken Recipe
I think you’re going to love this recipe. It’s easy to make, healthy, delicious and because it is a one skillet recipe, clean up is a snap.
I was actually surprised at just how flavorful it came out. I think the capers are the touch of magic in it so don’t skimp on them.
I chose to serve it over zucchini pasta, or zoodles as they are commonly called. They make such a healthy substitute for wheat pastas, and if you are wheat sensitive or allergic to gluten, this is the way to go. But serving it over pasta tastes great too. If you’ve never made zoodles before we show you how to do it on this short video on how to spiralize zucchini. I didn’t cook the zucchini in this recipe, but you can sauté it lightly in a hot skillet with olive oil.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 - 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Mozzarella cheese slices for each piece of chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning divided
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp capers
- 2 cans 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 5 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh finely chopped herbs basil, parsley, or cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes on each side, seasoning each time Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. In the same skillet, add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add white wine and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Add tomatoes, 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning and capers. Mix well. Return the chicken to the pan and top each piece with a slice of mozzarella.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped herbs and serve hot over zucchini noodles “zoodles” or pasta.