Easy One Pot Chicken Rice Casserole with Broccoli Recipe
This chicken rice casserole has a lot going for it. It’s healthy. It’s economical. And it is a one pot recipe that requires only a few minutes of prep time with cleanup that is a snap.
There are a number of chicken rice casserole recipes out there. We add a few twists to ours that take it over the top. One is that we mix some cheese through the casserole before baking it. The other is that when we top it with more cheese for the final few minutes in the over, we also add some French fried onions. They give it a nice little crunch and a dash of extra flavor.
Delicious, healthy one pot recipe the family will love
- 1 10.5 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup Do NOT dilute
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast diced
- 1 12.6 ounce bag frozen baby broccoli florets
- 1 cup cheddar or Mexican blend grated cheese divided
- 1/2 6 oz can French fried onions
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2 Add cream of chicken soup and water to the prepared dish. Whisk together until completely combined.
3 Stir in uncooked rice, uncooked chicken, frozen broccoli and half of the cheese. Season with about ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir again.
4 Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is tender, and the chicken is cooked through.
A few minutes before baking is finished, top with the remainder of grated cheese and about 1/2 of a 6 oz can of French fried onions. Continue baking until cheese melts.
With grocery prices soaring, this is a great recipe to keep in your file to make over and over again. You can make it even more economical by keeping your eyes open for sales on chicken. You can also add a bit of extra rice (increase water accordingly) to make it go farther.