Easy No-Bake Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
There are a couple things I’ve never understood about macaroni and cheese recipes. The first is why do cooks make macaroni and cheese recipes so difficult to make?The second is why, when utterly delicious macaroni and cheese is so easy to make, does anyone ever buy those boxes of macaroni and “cheese” with the powdery orange stuff?
This is the easiest and most delicious macaroni and cheese recipes you’ll ever make. The blend of parmesan and cheddar cheeses takes it over the top. Check out these posts if you’re curious what makes cheddar cheese sharp, or what the difference is between parmesan, asiago and romano cheese is.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 16 oz. box or package elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz grated cheddar cheese we like sharp
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil and salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil
- Add macaroni and cook about 8 minutes until al dente
- Drain and rinse being sure to shake off all excess water
- Return to the pan (with heat still on) and add the milk, butter and salt and pepper to taste
- Stir until butter melted
- Add the cheeses, reserving a small amount of the cheese of your choice to sprinkle on top when serving)
- Stir over heat until all cheese melted and ingredients evenly distributed
As you can see, you are making the cheese sauce in the same pan with the noodles. No need for extra pans, or getting the lumps out of the flour called for in other recipes and you don't have to clean the crusty baked on macaroni and cheese off a baking pan!
I think it tastes even better when it isn't "watered down" with added flour, bread crumbs etc. After all, don't the noodles have enough wheat in them to begin with?