Easy Lobster Bisque with Sherry Recipe
Lobster bisque sounds like it would be hard to make, but this rich creamy lobster bisque recipe is easy and unbelievably delicious.
- 3 lobster tails in shells
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 cups lobster base see instructions below
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fill a large pot half-way with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the lobster tails and boil for 8-10 minutes, or until the shells are bright red and the flesh is opaque. Remove the lobster from the boiling water and allow to cool. Save the water.
- Make the lobster base: Remove the lobster from the shell either by chopping in half and pulling out the flesh. Remove any remaining veins and chop into small pieces.
- Return the shells to the saved water and boil for another 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, strain the water from with a fine mesh strainer. Save 1.5 cups of it.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and onion and saute until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the wine mixing it into the mixture. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 1-2 minutes until this mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Slowly add the sherry.
- Add the paprika, tomato paste and lobster base and stir to combine well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Blend the mixture in a blender or using an immersion blender until very smooth.
- Return the blended mixture to the pan and add in the heavy cream and butter. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the lobster chunks back in and cook until heated though.
Serve hot with seasoned croutons, hard rolls and butter. Also delicious with a salad.
This site does contain some affiliate ad links from various companies including Amazon and I do earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. I try to only recommend products and services I believe are of good value.