Easy Healthy Caprese Salad Recipe
Making a fresh Caprese salad is the easiest salad you can make. It’s also quite healthy, so enjoy this delicious Mediterranean dish often. This is a simpler and more economical version of our Caprese Salad with Artichokes and Black Olives recipe that we posted earlier.
I think some people shy away from Caprese salad due to the large amount of Mozzarella cheese in it, but Mozzarella cheese is actually healthy. It’s a powerhouse of protein and considerably lower in saturated fat than other cheeses. It’s also a great source of calcium, Vitamin A, B-12, riboflavin, zinc, phosphorus and Omega-3 fatty acids.
I don’t think I need to tell anyone that basil and tomatoes are healthy foods. So give this a try. With its high protein and low carb content, this is a food you can probably enjoy without breaking your diet if you are on the Atkins, South Beach or other high protein diet.
So easy you can have this healthy Caprese salad recipe made and on your table in just minutes
- 3 vine-ripe tomatoes 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella 1/4-inch thick slices
- 20 to 30 leaves about 1 bunch fresh basil
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Coarse salt and pepper
- Layer alternating slices of tomatoes and mozzarella, adding a basil leaf between each, on a large, shallow platter. Drizzle the salad with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.