Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
This cream of mushroom soup recipe is so easy and delicious that you will never want to buy canned cream of mushroom soup again (except maybe as a fast way to add it to other recipes). We are wrapping up our National Soup Month recipes with this one.
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 8 oz. packages cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2/3 c. sliced shitaake mushrooms
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 c. vegetable stock
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- ground black pepper
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add mushrooms and saute until golden, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove 1 cup of the mushrooms, reserving them to the side.
- Add shallot and garlic to the pot and saute about one minute. Add thyme and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender￼, or working in batches in a regular blender￼, puree soup until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and stir in cream and reserved mushrooms.
Note: You can set aside a cup of the mushrooms after sauteing to return to the soup after the blending step if you want mushroom bits in it.