Creamy Beef and Green Bean Casserole
I think you’ll love this beef and green bean casserole with mushroom parmesan cheese sauce. It’s delicious and a one pot recipe that makes for easy cleanup. It’s also relatively economical.
We frequently eat some green beans with our beef, but I don’t think anyone has ever gotten the idea to combine the beef and beans into a casserole. At least not with green beans. We got the idea from our chicken and green bean casserole.
One caution on this recipe. The cuts of meat used are tougher meats that are generally used for meals that are slow cooked over a long period of time. This recipe only simmers for about 15 minutes so you will want to tenderize the meat before cooking.
Three ways you can do this:
- Pound it with a mallet, but be careful to not get too carried away
- Salt the meat heavily an hour or two before cooking, then rinse the salt off and pat dry when you’re ready to start cooking the recipe.
- Soak it in a marinade with lemon or lime juice (or vinegar) for 30 minutes to two hours before starting to cook.
We prefer the first method.
An economical, one pot recipe that's delicious and easy to make
- ▪ 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ▪ 1 Tbsp butter
- ▪ 1 cubed beef either round steak, chuck roast or stew meat
- ▪ Salt and pepper
- ▪ 4 cloves garlic minced
- ▪ 1/2 lb green beans
- ▪ 10 oz mushrooms
- ▪ ½ cup chicken or beef broth unsalted
- ▪ 1 tsp onion powder
- ▪ ½ cup heavy cream
- ▪ 2 tbsp corn starch
- ▪ 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese more for garnish
- Slice beef into cubes, slice mushrooms and mince garlic
- Melt olive oil and butter in a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add beef, season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side until browned.
- Add garlic, beans and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken/beef broth and onion powder. Simmer for 10-12 minutes until beans are softened. If it seems like there is too much liquid at this point, add some of the corn starch and mix/simmer until it thickens. Note: It will thicken more when you add the parmesan cheese, so you want it a little runnier than normal here.
- Add heavy cream, stir and add parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is incorporated with the sauce. Taste and season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and garnish with extra cheese, if desired.