Broccoli Potato Cheese Chowder
I love chowders for their creamy consistency. This broccoli potato cheese chowder recipe is delicious and easy to make!
click images to license them as stock photos
5 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 3 chopped carrots
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets(from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp corn starch (flour can be substituted, but cornstarch thickens without lumps or adding unwanted flavor)
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
Melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 – 4 minutes.
Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes.
Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk and whisk until smooth.
Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir.
Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted.