Broccoli Potato Cheese Chowder
I love chowders for their creamy consistency. This broccoli potato cheese chowder recipe is delicious and easy to make!
click images to license them as stock photos
5 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 3 chopped carrots
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 3 cups chopped broccoli florets(from about 2 heads)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp corn starch (flour can be substituted, but cornstarch thickens without lumps or adding unwanted flavor)
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Melt 1 1/2 Tbsp of the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion and saute 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in chicken broth, potatoes and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and cook 5 minutes longer or until veggies are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 4 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute. While whisking vigorously, slowly pour in milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to gently boil and thicken, stir in heavy cream. Remove from heat and once all veggies are tender pour into the soup and stir.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and parmesan cheese until melted.